Need a gift for Mother’s Day? Or a birthday? Well we have the perfect thing for you. It is cheap, the kids can help and Mom will love it! (Read the rest of this post and download our PDF guide) Yes I think I had you at cheap and getting the kids to help is a bonus as well. Now what am I on a about?Decorating terracotta pots with paint and you can also add things like decorations if you like. Glitter if the kids fancy it, glitter glue might be a better option since the pot plant most likely will be outside.
What Will You need?
Download our guide 8 Tips to Decorate A Planter for Mother’s Day
8 Steps to Create A Painted Planter For Mom
- 1. Set up area for painting. Make sure you have newspaper or some sort of cover to prevent mess and spills. Get it all organized before you get the kids invloved. If you are not ready kids get to eager and start painting. You have been warned!
- 2. Make sure the kids paint everything. Saucers and all things that go with the pot.
- 3. Our kids used leaves and pressed them into paint to create interesting patterns. This would look amazing if you had different colour paint for different leaf shapes. Then press them onto different areas of the pot and then you have an amazing design.
- 4. Allow kids to get very messy and have fun with this activity. They can be free to create what ever design and outcome they want.
- 5. Get plants ready to be added to the finished pot plant. Before you can do this you will need to wait for the paint to dry. We waited a day and then it was ready to go. It could be an hour or so depending on how hot and if the pot is in the sun to dry.
- 6. Add dirt and make sure the plants are in the right spot and in just the right amount. You don’t want to have the plants roots out of the planter and not in the soil. If the kids are helping you this is best to check.
- 7. Once all in the new planter, it is now time to water the plants. Get them settled and a drink is a good idea.
- 8. Check out the finished product. Don’t they look amazing with color on them. Adding paint to terracotta pots does make a difference. The pots jump out at you now and it is a lovely burst of color, just right for spring and the garden.
Have fun and I’m sure the kids and Mom will love this. It will not break the bank. Get cracking on creating this great Mother’s Day gift.